GANESH CHATURTHI - YOUR STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE TO CELEBRATING AT HOME
WHEN IS GANESH CHATURTHI?
The much-awaited festival of the year is fast approaching. The 10-day Hindu festival, starting on September 10th, commemorates the birth of Lord Ganesh. The duration of this festival involves the worship of the beloved elephant-headed deity who is revered for his ability to remove obstacles and instill prosperity and wisdom into one’s life.
WHY DO WE CELEBRATE GANESH CHATURTHI?
Hindus the world over, believe that Lord Ganesh is the God of new beginnings. He is a symbol of wisdom, writing, travel, commerce, and good fortune. Often worshipped at the beginning of a new venture, Lord Ganesh is believed to bring positive vibrations into your homes, workplaces, and lives.
Today, families across Canada and all over the world celebrate Ganesh Chaturthi by placing eco-friendly Ganesh idols in their homes for 10 days, performing arti and puja, offering Lord Ganesh is favourite foods and finally immersing him into the water, a ritual accompanied by drumbeats, devotional singing and dancing. This procession symbolizes Ganesha’s homeward journey to Mount Kailas
WHERE CAN I BUY ECO-FRIENDLY GANESH IDOLS?
Eco-friendly Ganesh idols are an environmentally friendly alternative to the traditional synthetic idols. At India Sajawat & Puja Hut, we believe in doing good for the environment and to give back to the Gods who created this magnificent world we live in.
To purchase your eco-friendly Ganesh idols, you can visit our Brampton puja store India Sajawat & Puja Hut located at 31 Melanie Drive, Unit 5. We are open 7-days a week for all your puja shopping.
LIST OF PUJA SAMAGRI ITEMS FOR YOUR GANESH CHATURTHI PUJA
Below is a complete list of items you need for your Ganesh Chaturthi puja. At India Sajawat & Puja Hut our team is here to make your Ganesh Chaturthi puja a memorable one. For assistance with purchasing your puja items, please visit our store or send in your shopping list by email to email@example.com or by WhatsApp to 416-803-6072 for same day or next day pickup from our Indian religious goods store.
- Eco-friendly Ganesh idol
- Platform to place Lord Ganesh
- Akshata –Prepared by combining wet turmeric with rice, saffron, and pulp
- Puja Thali
- Red Flowers (Lord Ganesh’s favourite colour in a flower)
- Mango Leaves
- Durva Grass
- Red Cloth
- Cotton Wicks
- Incense Sticks or Dhoop
- Raw Rice
- Red Flowers (Lord Ganesh’s favourite flower)
- Sandalwood Paste
- Betel Leaves
- Betel Nut
- Puja Bell
HOW TO DO GANESH CHATURTHI PUJA AT HOME?
Many families invite a pandit or brahman into their homes to perform the puja; however, in light of COVID-19 it is recommended to limit the number of people into your homes in order to keep everyone safe.
- Before the arrival of Ganesh Chaturthi, it is important to clean your home making it neat and organized. Cleanliness and devotion are two key factors in receiving optimal blessings from Lord Ganesha.
- Set up the altar for Lord Ganesh. Using a platform or Bajat, make a seating arrangement for Lord Ganesh. Place the red cloth over the platform and decorate with flowers of your choice.
- Fill a Kalash with water, place a coconut on top of it and decorate it with betel leaves.
- Place your eco-friendly Lord Ganesh idol onto the raised platform or Bajat. If you do not have an idol, you can use a photo of Lord Ganesh.
- Adorn a sacred thread, also known as Janeu on the left shoulder of Lord Ganesh and place a sandalwood paste tilak on His forehead.
- Place a garland around Him and offer red flowers, durva grass and Modak.
- Recite your aartis
HOW MANY DAYS SHOULD YOU KEEP LORD GANESH AT YOUR HOME?
Lord Ganesh is a guest in your home, and He is invited to stay for 1.5 days, 3 days, 7 days, or 10 days.
HOW TO PERFORM THE VISARJAN?
To bid a farewell to Lord Ganesh, the family partakes in what is known as the Visarjan. Gather in front of Lord Ganesh and perform your final puja with flowers, lighting diyas, incense sticks, modaks, ladoos and other eatables prepared for the day. The puja concludes with the waving of a camphor flame in front of the idol, chanting prayers and sprinkling rice on Lord Ganesh concluding with a namaskar.
On Lord Ganesh’s journey back home, pack Him some rice and fruits wrapped in a red cloth.
Upon reaching the Visarjan spot, which is usually a body of water, respectfully immerse your Ganesh idol into the water accompanied by chanting “Ganpati Bappa Morya, Pudhchya Varshi Lavkar Ya”, and the Visarjan process is completed.
From everyone at India Sajawat & Puja Hut, we would like to wish a very happy Ganesh Chaturthi. May Lord Ganesha bless all of your homes with good fortune, wisdom, good health and happiness.